Sunday 28 October 2012

You're not Superman!

Just the other day I came across a tweet that really got me thinking. Can't quite remember the exact words but it talked about how people really try to save the world, yet Jesus did that when He died on the cross. I mean, none of us is Superman, (and we never will anyway) so why do we spend so much time carrying the weight of the world, yet we can barely carry our own? Yes, I know for a fact that there are people who care a little too much about the rest of the world and put their own happiness at bay for everyone else's sake. I know this because I am one of them. (This is self talk too by the way)

Recently, I found myself in a certain scuffle with someone close, and I found myself giving in to the other person's demands simply because I wanted to avoid arguing at all costs and honestly didn't want to leave a bad taste in the other person's mouth.
But thinking about it objectively, we tend to believe that being a tad too courteous is done in selfless, humble faith and is the right thing to do anyway. However, there is a very distinct line between being selfless and a doormat.

A doormat will let people walk all over them, allows others to dictate their lives and their happiness depends on other people. A selfless person on the other hand genuinely cares about others and sacrifices alot for the their sake. Nevertheless, a selfless person also knows their boundaries, which lines should be crossed and which ones shouldn't, when to speak out and when to be silent, when to act and when to hold back; the list goes on.

In simple words, it's okay to love people, but don't allow yourself to be a walkover. Besides, the good book; in Matthew 11: 28-30 (NIV) says, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

So there's your answer.

Have a fruitful day, won't you?

~Don't lose yourself while trying to hold on to something/someone who doesn't care about losing you~

2 comments:

  1. This is where you and I are so similar:) thanks for the post Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime dear :-) just had a flashback of '08 when we were in Com pamoja....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete