Thursday 11 October 2012

Just glad I didn't...

Just saw this blast from the past, a piece I wrote during my journey of self discovery a few years ago. Enjoy!

You came my way,you promised me the world

you promised me the moon and the stars,

that you would cross the oceans for me

you declared your undying love for me

you swore to be by my side day and night

...blah blah blah...

the list was endless....



You told me how much you loved me

you said I would make the perfect wife,

no...your perfect wife,

all you wanted was me...

To me, you seemed and sounded sincere

You met me wen I had no heart;

I cared less about what you felt or thought

but the sacrifices you were willing to make

touched a soft spot in what was left of me..

...I thought twice,but I'm just glad I didn't love you..



All of a sudden,you changed so drastically-it almost frightened me,

you didn't want me anymore..

not that I did anything wrong,but you were too full of yourself,

yet too afraid..

It didn't even hurt me at all

because I didn't give any bit of me to you..

Just glad I didn't let myself fall in love with you...



Then as I journeyed through this lovely life of mine,

y'all came my way....

you asked me to join your crowd

to do what everyone else did

to ''fit in'' and walk in the shadows under which you all did...



My gut told me I shouldn't

when I chose not to walk those same steps you followed,

y'all hated me and told me that I was being self-centered

you said I was selfish and extremely egotistical

you started hating me and sidelining me...

only because I didn't do what you wanted..


With time, I learnt that there was more to life,

I found myself, I learnt to hold my own,

Like a caterpillar emerging from its cocoon,

I wrestled and wriggled and freed myself from my internal battles,

I learnt to appreciate the beauty in life,

to love, to hold, to cherish, to care..

All of which I would never have known if I stayed with you.


I'm only so glad I didn't....



By Rita Kay.

(Aug '10)

No comments:

Post a Comment