Saturday 20 October 2012

Enjoy the process

It's midnight, I am wide awake and that deeply sought-after sleep is nowhere to be found. But then again, that's what happens when you wake up at noon! (what? I'm on holiday!) Anyway, other than this vain Wendy Williams show, there really is nothing captivating to watch, despite the vast array of channels.Ironical, huh? Me thinks that tv was a whole lot better in the nineties when all we had was, The Bold and the Beautiful, The Flinstones, etc, etc. All the same I am terribly glad that the hood is quiet and I think it's because my highly inebriated neighbors must have blacked out or something..phew! Okay,, before I bore you with my detailed description of every little being in my vicinity, I'll get straight to the point. Right after I sip the very healthy vegetable juice my mama made me..(Love you mummy!!)

With reference to the title, you may be wondering what process I am referring to. I don't know about you but I tend to feel that with every stage a person finds themselves at in life, there is always some annoying pressure to move on quickly to the next. I.e, when you're through with high school, they ask, What are you doing with yourself? and no, bumming does not count as an answer. After a gruesome 4 years in a Kenyan high school, even a 2 year holiday would never be enough. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating but point is, you need to be "serious," that is, according to these kith and kin. Then enter campus. The question suddenly becomes, "Utagraduate lini?" And sure enough, you complete college. Time flies.

Before you even get to adjust to life 'out there,' they're already asking for a chunk of your salary yet you probably don't even have a job yet! You get your hustle on, make a living and enjoy your hard earned dimes. No sooner do you move out from your folks' house, than they start prying on your love life. Woe unto you if you are a lady clocking 30 and the only better half you own is your cute little poodle. They hint about marriage, introduce you to potential suitors (who are 99.9% of the time plain weird!).

The cycle continues; then one day you wake up. You're 80, your body has started caving in to old age and you realize you've wasted your life living under the expectations of other people. It's been said that "The pain of waiting is way less than the pain of regret." A very true statement if you ask me. Many a times we wanna grow up so quickly, jump to the next phase of life thinking it'll be more exciting only to realize that we missed out on the beautiful moments in our seasons, which we can never recapture. Honestly, most of the time I find myself dreaming of a happily-ever-after future and cursing the present. I guess frustration drives me to that corner and I end up etching these little scenarios in my head to make my heart feel better.

You see, of late I've been swamped with so much work; it's crazy and particularly overwhelming. So I let my frustrations known to my amazingly charming and wise beau, and his words brought things into perspective. We've got to learn to appreciate every little mountain and valley that comes our way. Of course as you get older, the obstacles get bigger, but your capacity to handle them increases as well, only if you cultivate a teachable spirit and learn to take challenges positively. It's really that simple!

Not forgetting; love who you are, remember that there is beauty in diversity and you are you for a reason. If you've ever read any of my posts you've probably figured that I am a teetotaler and not your ordinary 'Friday night out' party kind'a girl. I'd rather sit at home in the comfort of my gigantic bed with a novel and a mug of coffee. But that's just me. And I love it!!! In other words, find your style, what makes you tick and capitalize on it. Recognize the season you are in, live it out to the max and remember that the present is a gift. Make use of it, have fun, don't spend so much time and energy trying not to do wrong that you forget to do what's right...and there are consequences as well. Newton's third law of motion states that "To every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction." So, whenever YOLO becomes your new mantra, remember that.

6 comments:

  1. Gigantic bed, novel and a coffee mug *bliss*. Thatz all i got :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, wierd question: are you taking PHY 112 this sem? ;)

    other than that, I enjoyed the read, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sheena, I am! hehe...why? n thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete