Wednesday 26 December 2012

What is pain?

My dictionary puts it this way:

>>Pain is the feeling of great discomfort you have, for example when you have been hurt or when you are ill.

>>Pain is the feeling of unhappiness that you have when something unpleasant or upsetting happens.

You may be wondering where I'm getting at with this talk about pain. Considering the fact that right now almost everyone on social media is bubbling on and on about their happy holidays and the fun times, compounded with reflections amassed from 2012. It's everywhere actually; from the television to radio...kinda cliche if you ask me, so I'll just conform but with a slightly different approach.


As I pored through the pages of this addictive novel I've been reading, I let my mind wander a bit. I thought about the past 12 months, the highs and lows of my life and those of my loved ones; some memories brought shudders, others engulfed my frame with a wave of nostalgia. But one thing struck me in all this. During the times I underwent bouts of pain (i.e. physical, emotional...), my faith and resolve to pull through was pushed to a corner and challenged to the max. Human beings dread pain. I'm not talking about the cancer type of pain, that's different and rather sensitive altogether. What I'm referring to here is the type of pain that life swings our way on a daily basis; death, disappointments at work/school, broken friendships and relationships, emotional baggage...the list is endless.
Different people deal with these in different ways. While some find themselves a little too inebriated time and again, others choose less toxic outlets such as seeing therapists, talking about it and praying. But lets just face it, seldom do people resort to taking the latter option as a means to dealing with pain. More often than not, we shut up, keep it all inside and smile to the world as if everything's A-Okay! But guess what?

You can fool the world, but you can't fool yourself.


This song by Faith Evans:
If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't take away the pain coz I know it made me who I am...


Before I veer off the track, let me bring the point home. When we undergo experiences that thrush us out of our comfort zones, we are challenged to take risks and tread on paths that we may or may not like. Think about pain. It distracts you from thinking and feeling like you always do, simply because it takes you to an unfamiliar terrain and a not-too-pleasing level of discomfort. When life is smooth and the challenges that often accompany it are absent, we are tempted to become comfortable and take things for granted. Pain is one thing that sure puts things into perspective. At least that's how I choose to look at it. For instance, as Christians, in many cases we find our intercessory antennas on high alert when things are thick. True or true? Pain is a constant reminder albeit unpopular, of our human nature. Pain knows no social status, age, sex, race and any other label which human beings stamp on each other. It hits hard, any day, anytime, anywhere. In simple terms, pain is inevitable. However, how you to choose to react is all within your control. If you choose to end your life as a means to end your pain, so be it; but remember there's a consequence. If you choose to keep it all inside, do so, but ensure it does not eat you up or pore into your everyday activities. All in all, learn from it, and make the right choices henceforth.

Nevertheless, you do not have to wait for something big and painful to happen for you to take action in your life.

Don't wait to lose a loved one in order to realize the importance of showing love everyday.

Do not wait for disappointments to teach you lessons, without which you could have learnt.

Don't wait for problems to bombard your way in order to get down on your knees in prayer.


In short, what have I learned from 2012? Pray. Talk. Learn. Move on.


Happy Holidays and a Prosperous 2013 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment