Friday 14 September 2012

K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. >> Keep It Simple Stupid!!

Now before you think I'm depicting rudeness or vulgarity, just hear me out. This is a simple PR rule I came across the other day as I was carrying out my daily readings. In Public Relations lingo, the whole idea is to avoid ambiguity in everything one does. This cuts across from PR pieces, to presentations and all other activities pertaining to the work in which the practitioner may be engaged.

However, I believe that this rule should apply to every individual regardless of their career or background. For instance, in church, the preacher may have a wonderful, well-crafted message but it's effectiveness squarely lies in delivery. In other words, the fastest way to lose your congregation is to have a very lengthy sermon with vague illustrations or terminologies that beat around the bush. And this applies to all forms of communication in all avenues of life, i.e. newspaper articles, presentations, lectures, etc.

In short, when you have a message to put across to another party, keep it as simple, clear and concise as possible. Avoid using words whose meaning you're ill aware of and be conscious of your audience. For example, if your audience comprises children, tailor your message to suit them. If adults, do likewise.

It's really that simple!

3 comments:

  1. i like this piece of advice. thanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your insight on this topic and to be frank it cuts across all areas of human communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>Prince G.. Thanks alot, I appreciate.Will keep posting more stuff..
    >>John.. Yeah,I agree. How I wish everyone would embrace this!

    ReplyDelete