Friday 21 September 2012

I will give IF and when I want!

Just before I get my point across, you should know that I am penning this down with alot of emotion in my heart, so if it lacks a sense of rationality, please bear with me.

At one point in your life, your help is likely to be sought by another party, for one reason or two and as the good book puts it, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Nonetheless, some people take this statement a bit too seriously and almost wanna force it down your throat. Case in point: Recently, I was taking a stroll with my friend somewhere this side of the Sahara. Suddenly, someone popped up from who-knows-where asking us to donate blood and it would not cost a thing. Before we could even exhale, he further stated that there were people in hospital on the brink of death, whose very existence could be determined by our willingness to give blood. Coincidentally, my good friend and me could not donate blood for health reasons best known to us. And so we told our brother the issue and he took us on a guilt trip, outlining statistics (obviously crammed) about how important it was to give blood, save a life, etc etc. A noble cause indeed, but of what gain would it be if we gave blood then ended up needing it again due to health reasons? Needless to say, we just had to walk away in order to avoid further confrontation.

Again, I've found myself in situations whereby people literally forced me to take donation cards despite my statements that my finances were not looking too good. I love helping out where I can, and would even go out of my way to do it. But that is a choice! So when you send me text messages reminding me that I "owe you money," what kind of taste is that supposed to leave in my mouth? Get serious people!

However, the situation that pushed me to jot down this post happened a few days ago. The worst confrontation I've ever had with a friend as yet. For the sake of privacy, I will not state the gender of this person. You see, my once good pal has this business where he/she sells stuff to make that little extra buck besides pocket money. And his/her friends support him/her. This person is one sure (overly) aggressive marketer and could probably sell a fridge to an eskimo, given the chance. So on a certain day, I was tired, scorched by the Athi sun (which I think is twenty times hotter by the way) and my wallet was very very slim. I was flat broke! Get my drift? Long story short, this dear comrade convinced me to purchase his/her wares, despite my firm insistence that my core policy was never to take goods on credit. He/she reassured me that it was alright and that I could give the cash anytime (read: when I was ready). I took it, ki-shingo upande but I made it clear that I'd return if I didn't like it. And he/she was cool with that.

Fast forward: a week later, he/she calls and I'm like, ooooh, I'd totally forgotten. So I tell this person that "the item" wasn't my type. Talk about hell on earth?! He/she burst into fits of rage, claiming that I should honour my obligation, pay up ASAP and called me all sorts of names I tell you! Needless to say, like the lady I am, I sent this person their money and gave him/her a tip or two about business ethics.
No.1 - the customer is always right, even when they are wrong.
No.2 - Trust and customer loyalty do not come overnight and once broken, are difficult to rebuild.
This so-called friend left a bitter taste in my mouth and I vehemently vowed never to even consider buying anything from him/her again. At some point however, I thought I was a bit too harsh, but when other people concurred with my assertions, my heart was at rest.

At the end of the day, giving is a choice. If you have the ability, go ahead. If you can't, make it clear and stand your ground. If you've ever travelled in some of our local transport means, you may have come across the 'mobile preachers' who'll curse you to hell if you do not support their ministry with a "little token." All the same, God sees your heart, He is the ultimate judge of your actions and if you ask me, I think that is all that matters; you do not need anyone else's approval!



Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact ~George Eliot


2 comments:

  1. I totally feel you. well written and articulate, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of just this weekend..I was in a bus and one of those preachers got on, preached and asked for offering (as they always do). The lady who was seated next to me and I did not give any money. So when the guy was done collecting, he prayed for everyone in the bus except 'those of us who had not given'! The lady next to me remarked and said, "Yaani sisi ndio hatuombewi sababu hatujatoa?" We both laughed and concluded the guy didnt deserve the cash anyway. I mean, if it is meant for ministry, you thank people regardless.

    ReplyDelete