Thursday 28 November 2013

Christian Media...Is there anything like that? (Part 1)

So today morning was another one of those dull mornings I woke up feeling bleeh. Whatever that means. My heart was heavy, my mind full of thoughts, fears and questions about life. At that point I knew I needed to hear an uplifting word so I tuned to one of the 3 main Christian radio stations on our airwaves. An ad was being aired, and I thought, "Just chill Rita, a sermon or some gospel song will play next." Another ad aired, and another one. Then a song played for not more than a minute and the presenter came back on air. He began talking about some product, and he went on and on and on. Wait, what station am I listening to to? Sure enough, it was a Christian radio station. It sounded more like a classifieds channel and at that point, I was compelled to listen to Classic 105 all the same. What was the difference anyway? So I tuned to the next station, and this time, the preacher was talking about favour, success and how good things are coming our way. Like he always does. The other one had rock/pop music (which I love by the way!) but I just switched off the radio and went to my playlist instead.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
~Matt. 28:18-19

This is the great commission, the mandate of every believer to spread the word of God and bring more to the kingdom. The rise of churches, ministries and programs and in a variety of platforms is something commendable; a milestone in achieving this great commission given by Christ. Media is one of them, and I'm glad that we have people who've taken this up and have formed broadcast stations to spread the good news. However, my greatest fear is that the great commission mandate has gradually been shelved and things like advertising, now run the show. Literally. But Rita, you may say, what will pay the bills? Surely this house won't pay its own rent and a smile at Kenya Power won't pay my dues. Yes, salaries have to be paid. But why call it a Christian station if more than a half of your show is pegged on marketing this and that? Then you ask, so where will the money come from? Hmmm...without risking sounding like a mere critic hiding behind the confines of my computer screen, I dare say, Christians have money! Yes we do. Look at all the church projects around us. There's almost always a fundraising in every other church, every other Sunday. Look at the beautiful altars we have in our sanctuaries. Look at the way we can afford to buy our preachers some damn expensive cars; wait, look at our own cars and houses. And that is just a drop in the ocean.

(continued...check out the next post for part two)

4 comments:

  1. very true rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me like this writing Rita. Truly spoken. She (meaning me) is quite impressed with this piece. Keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alot people :-) Hope you've read part two as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right. Looking out for part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete